kppp Issues

Hello.  Here's the situation.  I have a 56k dial up account with Qwest.  I've
done Linux servers, but never before a workstation.  I set up kppp and it
dials ok and seems to do the "handshaking."  A second dialog box opens and
says "Logging onto Network."  After about 30 seconds (I have the time out set
for 60 seconds), I get the messages "The pppd daemon died unexpectantly.:  The
kppp debugging window reads as follows:

ATZ
OK
ATM1L1

OK
ATDT<ISP phone number here>
CARRIER 40000
PROTOCOL: LAP-M
CONNECT 38400

The kppp log reads as:
pppd 2.3.7 started by <username>, UID 501
User interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <---> /dev/cua3
Hangup (SIGHUP)
Modem Hangup
Connection Terminated
Connect Time 0.5 min
Exit

I am using an external Motorola 56K ModemSURFR.  I've reviewed the docs
included in the  KDE desktop/KDE help for kppp and do not seem to have missed
anything.  I've contacted Qwest.  Although they do not officially support
Linux, they commented that any clients should be able to accept any
authentification, including clear text, and that clients "should not try to
log into the network."    These are issues with WinNT clients.  Does anyone
see anything I may be missing or know if kppp, by default, tries to do the
things tech support mentioned?

Any assistance that you can provide is appreciated.  If you request more
information, please note that I receive the digest version of group postings.