Re: [TCLUG:13349] DVD-MPAA Protests

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Mike Hicks wrote:

> Tim Neu wrote:
> >
> > Here's the one chance each of you have to make a difference!
>
> Heh, I'm trying to figure out if this is good or bad.  Most coodinated
> Linux-related stuff is planned out months in advance.  If this gets
> pulled off even moderately well, it'd be a big achievement.

I know - I really regret that I did not find out about this until today.
Still, it is good to have a single unified message on one day - which is
why it is (IMHO) worth the rush.

Plus, if it doesn't pan out, we can continue protesting afterwards - one
theater per Friday / Saturday...

> > Linux users and non-linux users alike are participating in a world-wide
> > protest of the MPAA being organized this Friday (tomorrow already!) by
> > www.2600.com.
> >
> > There are fliers on their web site.
> >
> > I will be protesting at the Har-Mar movie theater in Roseville starting
> > at about 6:00PM.
>
> Sounds like a good place.  It's a big theater, so plenty of people would
> at least see us..
>
> > It would be EXTREMELY good if we could get a large group of people
> > together and get the local media involved.
>
> I'm a bit worried about how many people we might have show up.  So far,
> I only know that you, me, and Scott Dier are planning anything at all.
> I wouldn't want to see more media people than protesters..

Agreed!

> > It would be awesome if we could rally enough people to protest at more
> > than one movie theater - but I think it would be just as good to have a
> > large group at one theater
>
> Yeah, we really need to find out how many people plan to show up
> beforehand..

I think even more important than that is that we protest peacefully and
act professional.  I don't think we have anything to worry about - but we
would do a disservice to our cause if we were not.

> > (if we are lucky, the local media will hear about it and report it). >
> heck, that's easy ;-)
>
> http://www.kare11.com/contact.html
> http://www.kstp.com/feedback/index.cfm?deptID=3
> http://www.kmsp.com/contact/
> http://www.wcco.com/feedback/index.html
> http://www.ktca.org/newsnight/feedback.html
> mailto:mail@mpr.org  (I couldn't find a specific news address,
> unfortunately)
> mailto:tips@daily.umn.edu
> http://www.pioneerplanet.com/help/docs/contactnews.htm
> http://www.startribune.com/viewers/qview/cgi/qview.cgi?template=help&story=70746580

Or,
"deem it worth reporting to a larger audience".

> > Anybody else with me?
>
> Sure, I haven't got anything better to do on a Friday night (how sad ;-)

Great!  I was willing to do this without anyone else, if necessary - but
it will be nice to have at least a few people there.

______         _ __         REAL men use LINUX!!!       Fight Junk Email!
  /           ' )  )                                   http://www.cauce.org
 / o ______    /  / _  . .  http://www.visi.com/~tneu/