Xwrapper problems

        I recently upgraded to XFree86 3.3.6. I downloaded it once, then
installed it on two separate machines. it (mostly) worked on one of them (a
Caldera 2.3 stock); XF86Setup would launch and configure the display
(provided I made a new XF86Config each time. trying to 'use the existing
XF86Config as defaults' would cause it to crash and core every time.)
        on the other box (a RH 6.1); 'startx' just hangs. eventually it
gives me an 'errno=111, can't connect to server'.
        I eventually traced the problem back to /usr/X11/bin/Xwrapper
hanging when I try to start it.
        the individual servers (XF86_SVGA and XF86_VGA16), I can start (as
root) without problem. if I create a /root/.xserverrc, and therin specify
"exec /usr/X11/bin/XF86_SVGA"; startx will launch Xwindows (provided I am
root. if I try this as a user, it refuses, and gives me some sort of message
about a security problem.).
        I realize why specifying the X server in an .xserverrc works:
because xinit (launched by startx), tries to start '/usr/X11/bin/X' by
default; and X is linked to Xwrapper. specifying another server in
.xserverrc tells xinit to try something other than 'X'.
        I've tried using XF86Setup; it launches the VGA16 server, but then
the actual X-based configuration app crashes and cores. :( I've tried RH's
Xconfigurator; which goes through the setup process, then tells me 'there is
a problem with your X configuration', and then leaves a process running in
the background (even after I've exited the app), chewing up as much cpu time
as it can get it's electrons on. :(

        why is Xwrapper crashing when the same file, (after being
transferred to another machine), works fine?
        why does XF86Setup core out when the same file, (after being
transferred to another machine), works fine?

        I've tried re-extracting the files from the .tgzs I've DL'ed; same
thing happens.

this is another good reason to like console-based apps. :)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (612) 682-1091