Re: [TCLUG:13440] Getting to know Debian

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Eric Hillman wrote:

> I've just finished getting CheapBytes' 'Official Debian 2.1' set up on my
> home PC.  For those of you who haven't messed with this particular distro,
> my impression of the install is that, while it wasn't as grueling as say,
> the first time I tried to install Slackware (back in '94, I think...), it
> definitely isn't for those of us who have become accustomed to such niceties
> as hardware detection or automatic dual-boot configuration.  The package
> selection utility was *nice*, though, and I liked having the options of
> which modules to install in the kernel during setup.  In total it took me a
> little under three hours to get the thing to a working level of operation
> (most of that spent trying to get XFree86 updated and running).

Rock.  :)

> But, I'm stuck with a few questions.
>
> First and foremost, I seem to recall there being some way to have Debian
> automatically update itself from the net with the latest set of packages.
> If someone can clue me in on how to do this, I'd appreciate it.  the manpage
> for dpkg didn't seem to mention anything about this.

(1) Modify /etc/apt/sources.list. should be self explanitory.
(2) apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
    (apt-get update grabs the newest package listings from the source
     defined in sources.list; apt-get upgrade actually grabs the packages
     and upgrades your box                                               )
(3) all done.  =)

www.debian.org

> Audio is just plain not working, and my mouse works under XFree86 but not
> gpm or svgalib.  I can probably figure these out with enough time and
> bloodshed, but thought I'd ask if anybody had tips regarding the SB128 or MS
> IntelliEye PS/2.

vi /etc/conf.modules for sound; is gpm installed?

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700