Re: [TCLUG:13440] Getting to know Debian

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Eric Hillman wrote:

> But, I'm stuck with a few questions.
>
> First and foremost, I seem to recall there being some way to have Debian
> automatically update itself from the net with the latest set of packages.
> If someone can clue me in on how to do this, I'd appreciate it.  the manpage
> for dpkg didn't seem to mention anything about this.

"apt-get update" [1]
"apt-get upgrade"

That should be what you're looking for.

> Second, if anybody has recommendations for websites or books to help me get
> up to speed on the system, I'd love to hear 'em.  I'm not looking for
> something that explains how to login or use "ls" here, I want something with
> some power tips for system operation, optimization and customization.

Everything I've needed was in either /etc or /usr/doc. [2]

> Audio is just plain not working, and my mouse works under XFree86 but not
> gpm or svgalib.  I can probably figure these out with enough time and
> bloodshed, but thought I'd ask if anybody had tips regarding the SB128 or MS
> IntelliEye PS/2.

What does lspci say about the soundcard?  If I was going to blindly insert
a module it would be es1371.

I'm having similar mouse difficulties, so I'll shut up now.

- Brent

[1] If this fails you need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list. The man page is
sources.list(5).

[2] Add /usr/share/doc if you upgrade to unstble.