Re: [TCLUG:13473] Slightly Confused (Raid)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Jonathan Kline wrote:

> Hey all:
> 	I've been reading up on RAID, and I have about 5 200MB Drives, all
> same size and everything... So what exactly Do i have to do to create a
> RAID Volume (Raid-0/Raid-Linear).  I want to end up with one big striped
> volume that will end up being mounted /usr
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Oh Ya, I'm running Mandrake 6.1 and 7.0 with K Version 2.3.8

(sheesh, you're insane. raid on 200mb disks.. *grin*)

create partitions of the same size on each disk.

vi /etc/raidtab
  raiddev /dev/md0
          raid-level      5
          nr-raid-disks   5
          nr-spare-disks  0
          persistent-superblock 1
          parity-algorithm        left-symmetric
          chunk-size      32
          device          /dev/sda1
          raid-disk       0
          device          /dev/sdb1
          raid-disk       1
          device          /dev/sdc1
          raid-disk       2
          device          /dev/sdd1
          raid-disk       3
          device          /dev/sde1
          raid-disk       4

mkraid /dev/md0
mkfs -t ext2 /dev/md0

and then follow the info in the howto/etc on setting up autostarting raid
partitions on bootup.

(you'll need raid support in the kernel and a copy of raidtools, of
course. rh6+ has all this out of the box; not sure about mandrake.)

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700