Re: [TCLUG:13473] Slightly Confused (Raid)

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 04:50:47PM -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Jonathan Kline wrote:
>
> > Hey all:
> > 	I've been reading up on RAID, and I have about 5 200MB Drives, all
> > same size and everything... So what exactly Do i have to do to create a
> > RAID Volume (Raid-0/Raid-Linear).  I want to end up with one big striped
> > volume that will end up being mounted /usr
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Oh Ya, I'm running Mandrake 6.1 and 7.0 with K Version 2.3.8
> >

> (sheesh, you're insane. raid on 200mb disks.. *grin*)
>
> create partitions of the same size on each disk.
>
> vi /etc/raidtab
>   raiddev /dev/md0
>           raid-level      5
>           nr-raid-disks   5
>           nr-spare-disks  0
>           persistent-superblock 1
>           parity-algorithm        left-symmetric
>           chunk-size      32
>           device          /dev/sda1
>           raid-disk       0
>           device          /dev/sdb1
>           raid-disk       1
>           device          /dev/sdc1
>           raid-disk       2
>           device          /dev/sdd1
>           raid-disk       3
>           device          /dev/sde1
>           raid-disk       4
>
> mkraid /dev/md0
> mkfs -t ext2 /dev/md0
>
> and then follow the info in the howto/etc on setting up autostarting raid
> partitions on bootup.
>
> (you'll need raid support in the kernel and a copy of raidtools, of
> course. rh6+ has all this out of the box; not sure about mandrake.)

	This will give you a RAID 5 system though, striped with one of
the 200 meg drives given over to being a parity bit.  I'm not sure how
to make it RAID 0, which is striped with no parity.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature