Re: [TCLUG:13480] MediaOne 2 way cable How-To

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Brian J. Ackermann wrote:
> My experience with the techs was that they were much more open to the idea.
> At least on my end of things, DHCP is used, and the MAC of the NIC used
> during the install is required.
>
> I know that the salespeople also said one needs to have a machine at least a
> 150MHz pentium, and at least 32 meg of RAM.  I argued for a while about
> this, but they didn't change their story.
>
> I ended up having them come out, install the modem in a windows box that had
> a NIC in it already(I recommend when choosing one of your own NIC's that you
> find the one with the lowest MAC addy possible, so that it comes up as eth0
> under linux.)  Once they had left, I yanked the NIC from the windows box,
> and dropped it into a 486/66 with 24M RAM, running Coyote.  Everything works
> fine...

Just a note: the order of network cards (eth0..n) is determined by bus
order, not by the order of MAC addresses. For example, from one of my
machines:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:95:EC:4B:CF
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:55:3C:6E
eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:09:ED:C2:BD

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700