Re: [TCLUG:13505] Password/Linux User Length

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Jonathan Kline wrote:
> They supposedly are enabled, or at least I checked the little box in the
> Mandrake setup that said use MD5 encryption/authentication!

Check /etc/shadow. If it's a long hash that starts with a $, it's md5.
Otherwise, it's not. I know RH6+ with MD5 supports very long passes, and
actually uses the full length in verification (just tested it to make
sure)

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700