Re: [TCLUG:13505] Password/Linux User Length

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Jonathan Kline wrote:
>can have a passwd of infinite charactwers, but it only checks the first
>8...  Which can bad if a user thinks they have a 10 character poassword
>but they really only have an 8 character password?  I suppose this helps

I saw this on bugtraq a while back.  Even if md5 passwords are enaabled,
the first password you set for root during setup uses crypt, so you only
get the first 8 characters.  The suggested solution was to simply redo your
password once you're up and running.  That's what I did, and it worked
fine.

-

Ryan