Re: [SCALUG] Print Server support for Linux

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Troy Johnson wrote:

> Tom Cross wrote:

> > > brand?
> > > http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-02/lw-02-lantronix.html
> >
> > I have a couple of their pocket adaptors, I had some trouble with them
> > using lpr/lpd, but I also had trouble using lpr/lpd with my JetDirects.
> > Now I use a direct connect to a port and both the JetDirects and the
> > Lantronix have been problem free.
> > I haven't had time to try Lantronix RTEL stuff yet, but looks
> > interesting...
>
> Tom,
> You expressed some disatisfaction with lpr/lpd (and other printing
> schemes) in the past and I was wondering what you use now? Any troubles
> at all? I only ask because you say "problem free", and that sounds
> amazing.

I tried CUPS, I tried LPRng, I ended up going back to RedHat's Stock
lpr/lpd.  However, it was after a VERY significant change.  They recently
added (5.2, 6.0 -- somewhere in there) the ability to print right to a
JetDirects port in RedHat's lpd.  So printing to the first port of a
JetDirect looks like this in /etc/printcap:

p9|CustServLaser|printer9:\
        :sd=/home/lpd/p9:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=9100@printer9.kendeco.com:\
        :if=/home/lpd/p9/filter:

Use port 9100 for first port on JetDirect, 9101 for second, 9102 for
third.  The LanTronix print servers use port 3001.  Below is an example
for one of my LanTronix printers:

p15|FrontColor|printer15:\
        :sd=/home/lpd/p15:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=3001@printer15.kendeco.com:\
        :if=/home/lpd/p15/filter:

This setup has been very easy to setup with one Linux box acting as the
print/spooling server for all Linux/Unix and Windows clients.  Works very
well.

Not totally without problems, but VERY close!!  :)

--
Tom Cross                     Voice: 320-253-1020    FAX: 320-253-6956
System Administrator                          E-mail: tomc@kendeco.com