x windows

I have been reading the HOW-To on linuxberg about X windows, the part I
have been focused on is starting x without  a desktop manager e.g GNOME.
I have followed the directions I think, but seem to run into a
problem.  I am trying to use fvwm2 just for learning and that is what
they use in teh how-to and I have added the   .xinitrc file to my home
directory as well as teh system.fvwmrc to my home directory, I changed
teh name of teh system file in my home directory to .fvwmrc.

The window manager starts up fine, but all i cannot get a term up. I
have tried teh xterm as well as rxvt, I have added /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
to the .xinitrc file and  a term will not start up. I get pretty much a
blank screen, except for the 2 other things in teh file (clock and the
other thing). I assumed I could start an xterm or rxvt term also like
the clock and other thing are started, but I guess I am wrong. Can
anyone help with starting a term up? I get to thte screen and can do
nothing. What about a mouse, I get an x for the mouse, do I need to
specify one? Is there a HOW-to on the stuff to start up or can I check a
file on my system and kind of copy it? Here is my .xinitrc file:

basically it is the HOW-TO's file.

#!/bin/sh

     # if your backspace and delete are reversed, try this:

     xmodmap -e "keysym BackSpace=Delete" -e "keysym

    Delete-BackSpace"
     xsetroot -solid darkslateblue
     # start some basic applications

  xclock -geometry 96x96+2+2 -bg grey40 -fg black -hl white &
 xload -geometry 120x96+2+147 -bg grey40 -fg white -hl darkred -update 4

    &
     xterm -sb -ls -geom 80x25-2+2 -title "shell" &
     xterm -sb -ls -geom 80x25-2-2 &

-----I added this------------
     /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

       # start the window manager