Re: [TCLUG:13766] XML/XSLT (was: Re: [TCLUG:13752] HTML (again))

Mike Hicks <hick0088@tc.umn.edu> writes:

> Troy Johnson wrote:
> Since I didn't feel like whining again about e-mail formatting, I
> started looking around for possible replacements for HTML mail.  In my
> opinion, straight ASCII is too minimal.  HTML looks nice, but usually
> only in a graphical environment (IMHO).  An interesting combination that
> I found is that of XML (Extensible Markup Language) paired with XSLT
> (Extensible Stylesheet Language Translation).

This is where I find a rather nice mail/news reader GNUS very handy.  Besides
the fact that it can parse html, through w3.  It also takes plain text
messages and marks them up according to common things people do.  So smiles
actually have a happy or frown or tounge sticking out icon, when on a
graphical display, otherwise they're just the :).  Also when words are put in
ALL CAPS for emphasis they are bold faced and underlined when marked with
_stuff_.  IMHO this is the way to do it.

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe