Re: [TCLUG:13783] Back again

>>You might want to capture the output from starting up X and send that to
>>us...the whole thing should contain info as to why each of the modes was
>>thrown out...
>um....  I don't know how to do that, because I'm completely new at this?

try this:
startx 2> /tmp/startx.log

this will redirect error messages, that otherwise would go to your screen,
to a file called 'startx.log', in your /tmp directory.

other people may have a better way to do this; but it's worked for me in the
past.

RH just spews startx error messages to the screen, other distros (Debian,
Caldera) might have it set up to send error messages to a
/home/<user>/.xerrors file, by default. (which I think is a better way to do
it... provided you know what's going on).

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (612) 682-1091