/dev question

I've got a squirrel living in my /dev directory.  A whole mess of files
have 'phil' (my unprivileged username) as owner.  When I try chowning them
to 'root' they don't seem to stay that way, even if I reboot.

Also, I installed Mandrake 7.0, and it seems to hate "supermount".  I
can't find any meaningful documentation on auto or supermount things.

Any ideas on how to fix this /dev stuff, a better place to look for the
new mount module info, and whether it's worthwhile or not?

Thx,

Phil