Re: [TCLUG:11886] Q2 pixmap problem

Dave Sherohman wrote:
> I can now run Q2 from /usr/local/games/quake2, but not from anywhere else on
> the system.  For some reason, it looks for all of its files in the current
> directory (and its children)...  Anyone know how to fix this?  (Another
> annoying side effect is that it doesn't go back to ~ to write out saved games
> or config files either, so (without changing permissions around) only root
> can save games or alter control configs.  Ugh!)

I am looking for a nice way around this problem, but I haven't found one
as yet. If you do find one, please let me know. I've thought about
creating a directory structure (under ~/.quake2/) full of symbolic links
to important quake 2 files and copies of the editable ones, and running
quake from there? Have a "quake2" shell script in /usr/local/bin create
the directory if it doesn't exist, and then cd to it and exec quake2. I
haven't tried it (yet) because I would like to create an elegant way to
have quake2 updates work (like mods) without too much pain (like
recreating the directory without killing config or save files). :-/

Good luck,

Troy