Re: [TCLUG:11935] version numbers

Scott Dier - dieman wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Christopher Palmer wrote:
>
> > That's which version of the RPM file it is. Some guy at Red Hat built the
> > RPM 20 times.
>
> Ugh. the fact it shows up in a uname irks me.

Actually that should show up.  That #number you get is from the file
/usr/src/linux/.version after you build a kernel.  It's the number of
times that the kernel has been built on that machine.  I use it a lot to
tell the difference between kernels with different features.  Works real
good with RedHat's init scripts that setup the right System.map and
modules stuff on boot then.
--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe