Re: [TCLUG:12042] bad computer day

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Although I would prefer a bad hair day, it would seem that I am stuck
> instead in a bad computer day.
>
> The hung process that I referred to earlier was really messing up that
> system. (load avg 1.0, broken Web server, etc.) I finally rebooted, it
> fsck-ed that partition that had the process stuck in IO, and everything
> seems fine now. Hopefully it will stay that way.
>
> Also this morning, I came in to work to find that my print server was
> accepting jobs. I went back to the console to find a number of error
> messages that were related to the ide device. I poked around for awhile
> and then decided to reboot that machine. On rebooting, I got this message:
>
> EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap
>  for group 0 not in group (block 0)!
> EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
>
> Anyone seen this before? How should I proceed?

Probably a bad hard drive. If you need the machine up NOW, grab a new
disk, throw it in, restore from backups. Otherwise you could poke around,
try mounting from a boot floppy, refscking from a boot floppy, so on so
forth. Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

---
nate carlson
the infinite loop
natecars@infiniteloop.com