Re: [TCLUG:12123] Remote X Permissions

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 01:32:30PM -0600, Perry Hoekstra wrote:

> That did it.  How long are these cookies valid?  If I restart my
> Linux box, will I receive a new MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE and have to
> re-xauth myself on the Solaris box?

	They are valid for the life of the X server.  When you log out,
the X server shuts down, and gdm/xdm generates a new cookie.

	I would use a script to pull the cookie out using xauth nlist,
or something similar, and ssh over to the Solaris box and xauth the
cookie in and launch your program.

	If you do so, make sure the ssh thingy launches the program on
display 0.  ssh sets up an X tunnel by default, and sets the DISPLAY on
the remote machine to the tunnel address.

	Of course, you could use rsh if you're on a secure network.  I
had a perl script once that handled sending the xauth information
automagically.

	You could just use the X forwarding ability of ssh, but then
you're adding in lots of extra overhead that isn't really necessary.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature