Re: [TCLUG:12134] SCSI vs. IDE

Many of the modern SCSI drives are the exact same piece of hardware as the
SCSI equivalent.  The only difference is a SCSI interface chip on the
drive.  So why the extreme difference in cost?

Scsi drives support multithreaded access (via the different chipset) while
IDE does not.

I am not sure about "offloading" the work from the CPU to the drive - as
it is usually handled by sending commands and filling buffers -
non-blocking.

There is a great comparison on Tom's Hardware site if you care to look.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com