newbie distros (was: Re: [TCLUG:12143] hello)

>so installing redhat is basically like installing Windows?
        no, stormix is like installing Windows; because it doesn't let you
choose *squat* worth of configuration options, even on the 'expert' install;
and it crashes under some circumstances.
        it lets you choose which games to install, and that's about it.

        RH at least lets you choose almost all packages individually (albeit
clunkily and confusingly).

I must say that the install that I've been happiest with, was the Debian box
I built entirely with floppies; DL'ing and installing each package
individually. that way I *know* what's there.
        if I had a bit more of a clue about compiling programs, I'd be very
interested in the built-from scratch distro.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091