Homegrown Distro

I, also have tried to build my own distro.  My goal was as follows:

glibc-2.1.2 based
kernel 2.2
gcc-2.95.2
PAM authentication
RPM based package system

The problems I have found are:
1)  I am having a problem determining which files should be included as
part of a package.  I have used "find" to monitor my intalls - but this
often causes conflicts with other packages which also work with some of
the same files (i.e. header files)

2)  I have not been able to figure out how to compile and install PAM.  I
run into compile errors in the source - and they have not been trivial.
The documentation on PAM-Linux is a bit sparse.

I have always started with a very basic/lean Slackware 7.0 system.

Has anybody overcome these issues?  Obviously ReadHat has ... but ...

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com