Re: [TCLUG:12774] bad computer day II

Timothy Wilson <wilson@visi.com> writes:

> --snip--
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
> --snip--
>
> Booting from my trusty boot floppy produced the same message.
>
> I couldn't find any mention of an 'init=' option in the lilo docs. Can
> anybody help here?

I've seen this when I didn't compile in support for virtual consoles, or when
I'm trying to install across a serial line and Linux is looking for a real
monitor.

As far as the init= argument.  This tells it what program to run as init.
init=/bin/sh works pretty good for fixing things.
--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe