Re: [TCLUG:12423] CD writing software....

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> > In essence, Pre-emphsis is a simple noise reduction scheme.  By running it
> > through a boost filter so that the highs are stored at an elevated level,
> > you "sort-of" get more signal-to-noise coming back out of the
> > reconstruction filter in the D/A convertor.  But, you have to remember to
> > de-emphasize.
>
> Ah, what I thought. Pretty much like DNR on analog tapes? Wouldn't think
> it'd be necessary with digital media, guess its not...

Um, not exactly, but yes, sort of.  As to "necessary" or not, well, that's
a discussion better suited to rec.audio.pro or the moderated pro-audio
list.

[The point I'd emphasize (no pun intended) here is that it has little to
do with the CD storage and everything to do with the data which is stored
upon that disc, i.e., the analog ends of the line...]

Phil M

--
Life is complex:
It has real and imaginary components.