Re: [TCLUG:12799] help me find a MUA

On Jan 24, 2000, Dave Erickson <gsa700@mediaone.net> wrote:
> Chris McKinley wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone seen/tested the mail package that the GNOME people are developing?
> >
> > Balsa, yep.  It has about the the same UI as spruce, currently Balsa has
> > better attachment handling, but spruce will be supporting pgp/gpg.
>
> Are you sure it's Balsa he's referring to? This quote is from the "State
> of the GNOME address":
>
> "Also we hope to have Evolution done on time for this "bigger" release.
> Evolution will supersede gnome-pim and include a mail reader.

Right, "the GNOME people" are focusing more on Evolution than Balsa.
Balsa has been around for a long time, but still has (from what I hear)
a long way to go.  Evolution, OTOH, is one of the major focuses (err,
foci) of Helixcode, Miguel's GNOME company.  They intend to support it
commercially and professionally, so you can bet that it'll be solid,
safe, and useful.

Of course, it's still very much under development, and won't be ready
for end users for some time.  Depends on the release schedule for GNOME
2.0.  I believe someone is working on flatfile support as we speak.

> This reminds me of something Miguel was saying this past summer about
> developing an Outlook clone for GNOME. I am thinking this is what the
> quote is referring to.

Yeah, I think you're right.  They are harvesting ideas from Outlook
(just like they did from COM/OLE2 for Bonobo, the new component system).
In fact, Helixcode is also working on an open source implementation of
Visual Basic for Applications (minus the dreadful security glitches) for
the spreadsheet and whatever else might need it.  Miguel is certainly
not shy about stealing good ideas, no matter how sinister their
origins....  (c:

John

--
dusk@ravendusk.org                                http://www.gnome.org