Re: [TCLUG:12807] bad day (more details)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Crap. The machine was running DNS, DHCP, NFS, Sendmail, Apache, Zope, FTP.
> All the inetd stuff was shut off except for SSH and FTP. Man, now I'm
> angry. I guess I'm going to have to shift into paranoid mode (plus, it's
> kind of embarrassing). I realize that I *should* be running SATAN,
> Tripwire, chroot everything, etc., but it's practically a full-time job to
> keep up. <lightbulb> Hey, maybe that's why some people actually get paid
> to do this! :-)

Wow ... that's a lot of services to be running on one machine. Hey, if you
want, I've got a 486 I'll give to you if you'll promise to use it to
offload some of that insecurity to a separate box ... it needs a cpu and
RAM, but you're welcome to it .... all of the stuff you suggest sound like
good ideas .... you don't have to be Mr. Paranoid Admin, but you do have
to make sure that if one of your boxen is taken down, that all of your
services don't go down with them.

~Dan D.

			HELP!  MY TYPEWRITER IS BROKEN!
					-- e. e. cummings