Choice between 2 modems.

Hi all,

I would appreciate any comments toward how to pick between the
following two modems.  I am a relatively new Linux user but have
been using unix systems for some time.  I am decidedly not a
system administrator (I just play one at home).  I have run
various incarnations of win/dos and OS/2 for about 10 years.

The Jaton Modulator 56k ISA v.90 Voice/Fax/Data (now 54.99 at
General Nanosystems)

and

The US Robotics ISA v.90/X2 Fax/Data (now $89.99 at G.N.).  I
am aware of the difficulty with the model number for this model
(the difference between 5687-02 and 5687-03 and other
incarnations).

According to the list of modems from one of the linux modem vs.
winmodem help pages, both are PnP 16 bit ISA modems and both have
jumpers for configuring IRQ/Com ports (provided one gets the
5687-03 and not the 02).

What isn't clear is how much choice you have for IRQs and com
ports in each model.  Also, it isn't clear to me what advantage
the extra $35 gets you on the US Robotics model other than the
trade name.

I will, of course, ask the sales people before I buy and I have
been told that General Nanosystems has a good reputation.  But
any comments from the Linux users community on these models would
be welcome.  The salesperson from whom I bought my computer,
after all, told me that they didn't sell winmodems, but here I
am.

Rob