Kernel configure, compile, and crash

Hello:

I finally got up the courage to "get right in there" and try for the first
time to recompile the kernal: no patches, no upgrade of source files, just
goin' through the motions.  "So what could possibly go wrong if I use the
same source files I already have, version 2.2.5 and just name the new copy
build -16 ??" I asked myself.

Well nothing went really terribly wrong the first time, just one hiccup not
finding nfssv<something>?? file.... the next configuration hung up while
looking for modules.... but then everything went wrong and I couldn't get
past "LIL-"  (There's dual winnt/linux problems here.)

....and had I backed up any of the modules?  No, of course not.

Does anyone know of a tutorial, other than these HOWTO's that gives a list
of 21 ways a newbie can configure and compile his kernel and thus learn
more about what's going on with this process?

gs

BTW, Thanks to everyone (at the last meeting) who made suggestions about
getting mirror-image copy ---use dvips and \special in TeX.  This book is
printed and ready to go to Norway! What a relief!
George Swan
Collection Development Support Unit	VOICE:	(612) 624-5860
Room 170B, Wilson Library			FAX:	(612) 626-9353
University of Minnesota Libraries		g-swan@tc.umn.edu
309 19th Avenue South			cdm-web@tc.umn.edu
Minneapolis, MN 55455			colldev@tc.umn.edu
USA						http://www.lib.umn.edu/cdm/