Re: [TCLUG:12948] Remote X Server (VNC)

cs> of course for you Scott, 'low bitrate' is your 256K DSL line, right? :)

That's true ... but I wanted to see what it would be like for a colleague
with a POTS modem.  It spurred me to experiment with "dummynet", which
is built into later FreeBSD kernels.  It's capable of simple traffic
shaping, latency & jitter simulation, as well as dropping packets.  At
40Kb/s, it's usable.  But you do need more patience.

cs> admittedly, I haven't tried running it over SSH; and I hear that
cs> helps a lot. :)

SSH *with* compression.  Use the "-C" flag on earlier SSH flavors and OpenSSH.
I don't know if the SSH version 2 flag is different.  It does make a big
difference.

One hazard with the tunnel is that the viewer may be fooled into thinking
that the server is local and use a bandwidth-suboptimal encoding method.
It seems as if using the arguments '-encodings "copyrect hextile corre rre"'
(mind the double-quotes!) can help quite a bit, too.

-Scott