Re: [TCLUG:12994] Local Media and DVD Stuff..

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:34:11PM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> Chris McKinley wrote:
>
> I think I'll save my "The Media is a Rotten Piece of Elephant Dung"
> speech for later and see if anyone is interested in coordinating with me
> to put together some fact-filled, yet easy-to-understand information
> about the DVD mess and its relationship with intellectual property,
> copyright, etc..

	I would be interested in helping.

	I would suggest also pointing them at Bruce Schneier's article
on the Street Performer protocol.  We have to wake pepole up to the
dangers and inappropriateness of the current opyright and patent laws (I
refuse to use the term IP because it makes an invalid assumption) in the
digital age.

	Bruce Schneier has an amazing ability to take issues where most
of us have a position based on a lofty principle, and explain it in
cold, hard socio-economic terms that people can digest without having to
swallow the ideal.

	I have a letter I spammed my address book with.  I _never_ do
that kind of thing normally.  If people here would like to see it, I
could post it here too.  I don't know if it's written _really_ well, but
I don't think it's bad.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature