Re: [TCLUG:12994] Local Media and DVD Stuff..

"Eric M. Hopper" wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:34:11PM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> > Chris McKinley wrote:
> >
> > I think I'll save my "The Media is a Rotten Piece of Elephant Dung"
> > speech for later and see if anyone is interested in coordinating with me
> > to put together some fact-filled, yet easy-to-understand information
> > about the DVD mess and its relationship with intellectual property,
> > copyright, etc..
>
>         I would be interested in helping.

Great!  I am not alone! ;-)

>         I would suggest also pointing them at Bruce Schneier's article
> on the Street Performer protocol.  We have to wake pepole up to the
> dangers and inappropriateness of the current opyright and patent laws (I
> refuse to use the term IP because it makes an invalid assumption) in the
> digital age.

I see now that there is a nice bit of information on the OpenDVD
website: http://www.opendvd.org/journalists.html

>         I have a letter I spammed my address book with.  I _never_ do
> that kind of thing normally.  If people here would like to see it, I
> could post it here too.  I don't know if it's written _really_ well, but
> I don't think it's bad.

I think the letter was good.  It seemed a bit hastily written to me,
kind of like you were really peeved at the time (which is probably true,
since you spammed your addressbook ;-)  Of course, a ton of what I write
seems hastily written even if I spend a whole day on it!

Anyway, I'm wondering what the best course of action might be.  Would we
just submit tips and references, or would we actually write an article?

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Junk: stuff we throw