Re: [TCLUG:12912] SCSI advice

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, ^chewie wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:11:13AM -0600, Philip C Mendelsohn wrote:
>
> > Don't anyone get their knickers in a twist -- we've noticed a measurable
> > diff. between longevity at high RPM vs. older low RPM drives, but really
> > it's not worth worrying over, since the damn things are cheap anymore, so
> > I for one would recommend them.
>
> So, what's the difference between them?  You stated you noticed a
> difference but didn't conclude what the difference was...

Um, the difference is not to be concluded, merely measured.  I don't have
the data now, so it can't be weighted as more than hearsay, I'm
afraid.  The upshot was, testing showed lower RPM drives to have a
slightly longer MTBF, and a longer life-span before motor failure,
bearings, etc...

In any case, while statistically significant, it wasn't really real-world
significant (esp. considering price).

[Factor in environmental concerns, and I dislike the idea of 'just buying
a new one when it dies', but sometimes you can't afford to be too
principled... :(

Phil M.

--
Life is complex: