Re: [TCLUG:12994] Local Media and DVD Stuff..

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Mike Hicks wrote:

> "Eric M. Hopper" wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:34:11PM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> > > Chris McKinley wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I'll save my "The Media is a Rotten Piece of Elephant Dung"
> > > speech for later and see if anyone is interested in coordinating with me
> > > to put together some fact-filled, yet easy-to-understand information
> > > about the DVD mess and its relationship with intellectual property,
> > > copyright, etc..
> >
> >         I would be interested in helping.
>
> Great!  I am not alone! ;-)

I also would be interested in helping.

A good resource may also be 2600's flyer:
http://www.2600.com/mpaa/flyer.html (html version, gif, doc, PDF, and ps
also available)

> >         I would suggest also pointing them at Bruce Schneier's article
> > on the Street Performer protocol.  We have to wake pepole up to the
> > dangers and inappropriateness of the current opyright and patent laws (I
> > refuse to use the term IP because it makes an invalid assumption) in the
> > digital age.

That is a very good idea, too. I believe I will be spamming my addressbook
as well. These DVD cases have just brought the issue to a head.

Also, I will suggest everyone put your money where your mouth is. I just
took the leap, and finally joined the EFF. They have a very affordable
"Student" membership level, at $20. I'm also considering the copyleft
css-auth source code shirt ($15, $4 goes to EFF).

Luke