The death and life of DivX

Mike Hicks wrote:
>> It is the 'unwashed masses' who buy a $200 DVD player that support this,
>> and kill any reason they might have for opening things up, and provide
the
>> incentive for a restrictive intellectual property paradigm.
>  I'm trying to figure out exactly how DivX got killed..  I remember
>  people talking about it, how the 'pay-per-view' aspect just seemed silly
>  to a lot of people.  I'm sure people over in the UK and the other
>  markets that aren't in Region Code 1 think that DVDs are equally silly..

	What killed DivX was that it didn't sell worth a damn,
to cut right to the chase. Circuit City was pretty much the
only major chain carrying the players, and there were *no*
advantages to DivX over DVD that justified buying DivX when
you could get DVD for the same price...and not have to sweat
your DVD disk expiring after n number of plays. Also (IIRC)
the DVD consortium further loaded the dice by making DVD
players more price-competitive, to the point where Circuit
City finally threw in the towel and killed DivX.
	It was a crappy idea anyway. :)

Kevin Trainor
"Some people like to go out dancing
But other people like us, well we gotta work."
	--Lou Reed, "Sweet Jane"