Re: [TCLUG:13123] Permissions

Ok, here's an interesting bit...

Connected to localhost.
220 pleiades.solar-systems.net FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1)

I just connected to the account, and with regular ftp, transferred the files to
the site.  Everything works just fine...

I try connecting with Claris Home Page, using the 'upload' utility (which I
would assume to be straight ftp) and I get the 550.  Something is obviously not
working quite right here, and I'm curious what that may be.  Claris works just
fine if he wants to 'upload' to his own directory /home/james/site/* ...

I wonder if its hanging up with symlinks....

Brian

--

----------
>From: Ben Kochie <ben@nerp.net>
>To: tclug <tclug-list@mn-linux.org>
>Subject: Re: [TCLUG:13123] Permissions
>Date: Mon, Jan 31, 2000, 1:06 PM
>

> I think there may be something wrong with your ftp server configuration..
> are you using wu-ftp or proftp?
>
> /home/httpd/html/kofc5141/
> should be 755 (rwxr-xr-x)
>
> ftp should allow him to upload just fine.  I have several websites setup
> like that
>
> Thank You,
>         Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)
>
> *-----------------------*  [ - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - ]
> | Unix/Linux Consulting |  [ Haiku Error Message:          ]
> |  PC/Mac Repair        |  [  Chaos reigns within.         ]
> |   Networking          |  [  Reflect, repent, and reboot. ]
> | http://nerp.net       |  [  Order shall return.          ]
> *-----------------------*  [ - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - ]
>
>  "Unix is user friendly, Its just picky about its friends."
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Brian Ackermann wrote:
>
>> Ok, I'm hosting a website at http://www.solar-systems.net
>>
>> The author of the site has a directory at
>> drwx------   4 james    james        1024 Jan 20 09:06 /home/james/
>>
>> The root of his website is
>> drwxrwxrwx   3 james    james        1024 Jan 20 09:07
>> /home/httpd/html/kofc5141/
>>
>> I have a link
>> lrwxrwxrwx   1 james    james          25 Oct  8 07:06 /home/james/KCWeb ->
>> /home/httpd/html
>> /kofc5141/
>>
>> which resolves to the web root above.
>>
>> I want the 'james' to be able to ftp his site onto the server.  Right now,
doing
>> so gives a 550 permission denied error.
>>
>> I *know* I've got way too much permission open on this, but what can I do?
How