Re: [TCLUG:13133] NAT with one network card?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Jeff Hallgren wrote:

> Quick question:
>         All of the cookbooks/Howtos I've seen for setting up NAT on a
> linux box
> assumes there are 2 ethernet cards in the box with different IPs...
>         Isn't it possible to assign an additional (private network) IP
> to an
> existing card already using the ISPs static IP with ifconfig? Then set
> up some addtional routing for it.?
>         Or do I really need to install another card?

Yes, I have done this. Note that security experts say that it's best if
you physically separate the two networks; it's no biggie though. Make sure
you have ip aliasing support compiled into your kernel. Then, you should
be able to assign an address to eth0:0, eth0:1, etc.

--  I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said,
--  but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

++  Dan Debertin
++  Systems Administrator
++  Bitstream Underground, Inc.
++  danield@bitstream.net