Re: [TCLUG:19654] Qmail and Sendmail

I think you could give box2 box1's IP when you take it down, but don't put
the domain name in the W class (usually sendmail.cw or grep "^CW"
/etc/sendmail.cf).  But Box2 may see the MX for box1 as pointing to itself
and return undeliverable messages, so you may want to do some DNS trickery
to fix the problem.

Say the MX is box1.domain.com, which points to 192.168.1.1.  Add an entry
to /etc/hosts for box1.domain.com to an invalid IP (like 10.0.0.1,
something that you can't route to) so that Box2 doesn't give an error like
"Mail loops back to me, MX problem?".  Box2 will receive mail for
domain.com, domain.com isn't in it's cW, so it'll try to deliver it.  The
MX points to box1.domain.com and it's defined with an unreachable IP in
/etc/hosts, so it /should/ queue the message.

When Box1 is ready, switch the IP's back, then from Box1:

telnet box2 25
220 Sendmail ...
ETRN domain.com

will send all the mail.

Or you can sendmail -q to process the queue once.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications