Networking basics

Hey folks----

I just installed Caldera 2.4 on a pentium200mmx. I used to have Red Hat on it but wanted to try something new and different an plus I was having a difficult time with the ethernet card driver.

I like the look and feel of Caldera and the card appears to be set up.

I am wondering about networking basics... I want to be able to telnet from my windows 98 machine over to the Linux box.  Basically set up a network maybe even learn how to setup Samba down the road.

I had MSnetworking in place when the linux box had windows on it and I think the card on the linux box is working too but I am lost on how to go about settingit all up.  Does anyone have a cheatsheet that I can use as a resource on what domains to setup and what to use in MS98 to actually connect.... Maybe someone knows of a good resource for me to move into this new realm.....
on 98 do I need to configure TCP/IP only?
and On the linux box what IP addresses could I use?

Thanks--- Maybe I should just bring the machine down to installfest and get some help redoing it.....   :)

Sam