Re: [TCLUG:18492] AMD vs. Intel

Well, as the main SIGFS hardware guy, I always have lots of
fun things to say about this.

Here is my opinion:

(Today)
Currently, the Intel Coppermine (Pentium III) Processors are the
fastest around, after about 700MHz.  This is mostly due to the
low-latency, 256-bit wide, full speed L2 cache.  Under 700MHz,
the Athlons are a bit faster, where the slow L2 cache (which has
always been one of AMDs problems, along with FPU power) is
less of a limitation.

Price-wise, the AMD Athlon is a better deal (if you don't overclock).
The current Intel CPU stepping (cB0) was a yield improvement
stepping, which has made the Intel CPUs quite overclockable.
I currently have a stock retail Intel 600E running at 800MHz (133MHz
bus) on a ASUS P3V4X with flawless stability.

In the chipset market, it's kind of a wash.  Previously, there was no
doubt that Intel's chipsets were extremely high quality.  The 440BX
is still, after being quite a few years old, Intel's fastest chipset, and
still the fastest, or at least tied for the fastest, chipset around.
Unfortunately, it has quite a few limitations (100MHz bus, no 1/2 AGP
divider, no AGP 4x, no ATA/66).  The three decent chipsets on the
market are the VIA KX133 (Athlon), the VIA Apollo Pro133A chipset
(Intel), and the Intel i840 chipset.  The i840 is a RAMBUS chipset, so
while it is fast, it is also too expensive (the 840 is also a server chipset,
like the 440GX).  The KX133 and the 133A chipset are pretty even,
with the 133A being a bit stronger chipset.  So, I would have to say
that the VIA chipsets are the best, with the one on Intel being a bit better.

(Future)
AMD's Thunderbird CPU looks to be promising, with its full-speed L2
cache.  However, how it will fare against the Williamette remains to be
seen.  They will likely be pretty close.  After this chips, the CPU market
is a bit murky at this point.

Many will like to buy AMD because they like to vote for the underdog,
which is fine by me.  AMD is doing quite well for themselves these days,
with their biggest quarters ever recently.  The current "best" solution out
there (performance) for a Uni-processor system is probably a PIII on a
good motherboard (the ASUS P3V4X is considered the top of the heap,
ATM).  For a dual system, hrm, likely a dual PIII on a 440GX board (SuperMicro
boards are good).  Price wise, it's hands down an Athlon (if you don't
overclock).  So you can get an Athlon 800 or so, for the cost of a PIII 600(E).
But, if you overclock, you can run that PIII 600E at 800, and get a bit better
performance, for the same price.

If you're big into 3D, I still recommend Intel, because 3D card drivers tend
to support SSE a bit better than 3dNow! instructions.  However, for a
nice powerful machine that won't break the bank, go with Athlon.

Woot!

Nick Reinking