RE: [TCLUG:18492] AMD vs. Intel

> If you're big into 3D, I still recommend Intel, because 3D card drivers tend
> to support SSE a bit better than 3dNow! instructions.  However, for a
> nice powerful machine that won't break the bank, go with Athlon.

Speaking of 3D: I don't know if this is still an issue, but a while back there
were some problems with AMD cards & mobos not supporting AGP at high bus rates -
2x or 3x...  I'm a little fuzzy on the details, unfortunately.  AMD was being
awfully quiet about this issue at the time.

In my experience, Intel has always been the more stable & high-performance
gaming/3D platform, Mhz for Mhz.  For a plain ol' boring vanilla workstation,
AMD gets you a little more bang for the buck, though.

This is all, of course, barring overclocking, dual-Celeron setups and other
kinkiness.

---BEGIN PBP SIGNATURE---
Version: Pretty Bad Privacy v0.23

04