Re: [TCLUG:18516] Squid as an httpd-accelerator

To speed up browsing, you can cache on disk pages that are often retrieved
-- this is good for providing improvements to common sites, say, for
multiple hosts on the LAN. Even sites that change their content often will
keep using certain elements, such as logo .gifs, or menu frames.

If you're trying to speed up your server, you can cache common pages in
RAM, so that they don't have to be read from disk when requested.

Hope that addresses your questions somewhat.

Andy