Re: [TCLUG:18516] Squid as an httpd-accelerator

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 andy@theasis.com wrote:

> To speed up browsing, you can cache on disk pages that are often retrieved
> -- this is good for providing improvements to common sites, say, for
> multiple hosts on the LAN. Even sites that change their content often will
> keep using certain elements, such as logo .gifs, or menu frames.

Sure, this makes sense. Reduce traffic over the Internet.

> If you're trying to speed up your server, you can cache common pages in
> RAM, so that they don't have to be read from disk when requested.

Apache doesn't use RAM for this by itself? If not, then I understand where
Squid would come in handy. I had always assumed that all that RAM people
recommend for Web servers would be used as apache "cache."

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/