Re: [TCLUG:18516] Squid as an httpd-accelerator

Troy Johnson wrote:

> Timothy Wilson wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 andy@theasis.com wrote:
> > > To speed up browsing, you can cache on disk pages that are often retrieved
> > > -- this is good for providing improvements to common sites, say, for
> > Apache doesn't use RAM for this by itself? If not, then I understand where
> > Squid would come in handy. I had always assumed that all that RAM people
> > recommend for Web servers would be used as apache "cache."
>
> I think the RAM is for the many copies of Apache httpd deamons forked
> off to deal with incoming requests, not to cache anything. Squid is made

Apache doesn't cache static content, AFAIK. The linux kernel, however,
does. ;)

Personally, I don't see what good running squid on the same machine
would do as far as performance with static pages. If you're worried
about static page performance, try khttpd. ;)