Lap net

What is the consensus (if any) on the right way to do the following:

If one has a laptop with an ethernet connection, maybe even some NFS
mounts, but one wants to disconnect from the umbilical and go for a little
"extra-vehicular activity", what's the best way to put net services on
pause so that they don't hang clients or servers, either locally or
remotely?

And what if the services running may vary from time to time?
Known trouble spots?

I've been doing it manually, and not very elegantly -- once I even
rebooted, removing the connection once the machine was down.  I'd like to
avoid this, even though it's pretty foolproof.

Thanks,

Phil M

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math