Re: [TCLUG:18569] Live CD filesystem

"Kevin R. Bullock" wrote:

> Hey all --
>
> I'm attempting to create a live filesystem on a bootable CD of a working
> Debian system. What kinds of obstacles need to be overcome to do this?
> i.e. having a read-only filesystem, portability between machines (I want
> to have it run X, etc.), stuff like that. Ideas?
>
> Pacem in Terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
> Kevin R. Bullock

You need to have a ramdisk for your /var, /tmp, and /dev (though the
/dev/ you might be able to avoid if you use the new devfs 2.3.99 and
above)

If you modify mkinitrd to write to an iso file instead of the floppy it
makes it much easier to create a bootable cd

read october 99 linux journal cd creation article it has some
interesting ideas about cd filesystems under linux (though they don't
describe making a bootable one)

Eric