Re: [TCLUG:18571] Lap net

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> > What is the consensus (if any) on the right way to do the following:
>
> > If one has a laptop with an ethernet connection, maybe even some NFS
> > mounts, but one wants to disconnect from the umbilical and go for a little
> > "extra-vehicular activity", what's the best way to put net services on
> > pause so that they don't hang clients or servers, either locally or
> > remotely?
>
> Run levels. Scripts. PCMCIA init scripts even...

I was really looking for some suggestions like "don't forget
to add xxx to your script, because you must take care of the yyy
case."  I'd like to make the machine automagically do it, so the user
(whether me or not) doesn't have to be aware of what services are running.

Are you saying just run a script that appends the 'stop' option to every
network command in /etc/init.d?

Is it a good or bad idea to 'ifconfig eth0 down'?

Thanks,
Phil M

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math