Re: [TCLUG:18576] Debian + gnome

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 09:11:16PM -0500, Gabe Turner wrote:
> Hi all, I've run into a bit of a predicament.  I'm a Slackware user
> through and through and I even use it on my desktop at work.  Well,
> we've recently been _required_ to run gnome where I work (due to
> some of the apps, specifically gnome office, tey make us use) and
> since HelixCode isn't supporting Slack for some reason, I ended up
> compiling Gnome (and Gnome Office) from source (it took forever!).

He he.  Interesting concept.  Being FORCED to use Gnome. ;-)

> So, since people are beginning to phase Slackware out, I'm spending
> more and more time administoring my machine then I am actually doing
> my job :)

mmmm...Slack...seems to be slacking about. ;-)

> So, I've decided to run Debian at work.

Woohoo!

> apt really won me over the first time I used it and I decided if I
> ever have to switch, I'll switch to Debian.  Note: This is not a
> permanent switch to Debian, I'll just be using it at work.  In my
> spare time (i.e. at home) I'll still live up to my Slack-feind
> heritage :)

You have my sympathy.

> Anyway, the real problem.  I've decided to get a little more
> familiar with Debian, so I've installed it on a machine at home.
> Everything went great, and I'm up and running.  1 problem:  when I
> try to initiate gnome-session, I get the following error:
>
> dopp@paladin:~$ gnome-session Unable to bind port 16001

Well, I've had this problem, actually.  Know why?  I didn't have the
local loopback device initiated. ;-)  Try and ifconfig to see if it's
up.  If not, verify that you're initiating it by the new networking
setup.  Enter /etc/network.  Edit the "interfaces" file so that you're
initiating the "lo" device.

If you're running potato, you should only see an /etc/init.d/ script
called "networking".  Make sure you don't see anything uncommented in the
older "network" script; it's deprecated -- don't use it.

Now, if you still have problems after that, make sure the kernel
you're using has Unix sockets and TCP/IP enabled. ;-)  After that you
should be fine.

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie