Debian + gnome

Hi all, I've run into a bit of a predicament.  I'm a Slackware user through and
through and I even use it on my desktop at work.  Well, we've recently been
_required_ to run gnome where I work (due to some of the apps, specifically
gnome office, tey make us use) and since HelixCode isn't supporting Slack for
some reason, I ended up compiling Gnome (and Gnome Office) from source (it took
forever!).  So, since people are beginning to phase Slackware out, I'm spending
more and more time administoring my machine then I am actually doing my job :)
So, I've decided to run Debian at work.  apt really won me over the first time
I used it and I decided if I ever have to switch, I'll switch to Debian.  Note:
This is not a permanent switch to Debian, I'll just be using it at work.  In my
spare time (i.e. at home) I'll still live up to my Slack-feind heritage :)

Anyway, the real problem.  I've decided to get a little more familiar with
Debian, so I've installed it on a machine at home.  Everything went great, and
I'm up and running.  1 problem:  when I try to initiate gnome-session, I get the
following error:

dopp@paladin:~$ gnome-session
Unable to bind port 16001

Now, I'm not quite sure what to do about this, as I have no idea why gnome is
trying to bind to a port (I'm a gnome newbie, BTW).  I'm runnng Potato and this
is just the default install of Gnome I installed with apt-get.  So, I thought
it might be broken in this particular package, so I installed HelixGnome and I
get the same error.  So, my guess is that Debian installed something that is
conflicting with it, but I have no idea what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW: I'm not a Debian Bitch :)

TIA

Gabe
Gabe Turner		X-President, ACM @ U of MN	     dopp@acm.cs.umn.edu

"I been poisoned!  I must wash myself!  [Ren Drinks From Toilet]
 Have you no sense of hygiene, man?"
				- Ren kisses Stimpy in "Big House Blues"