Re: [TCLUG:18625] Lets have more eOne fun.

>     Ok, I've pushed Mandrake off to the side and installed Suse.  Install
> seemed to go smoothly, however, when the machine is finished booting up the
> screen goes blank.  Now this happened before when I would try to run X.  The
> Suse install must have installed X as well, and if so it's not configured
> correctly. Now how do I get to the shell login prompt from either during the
> booting or at the blank screen so that I can configure X correctly.  The
> Alt-F keys to switch to a new virtual console didn't seem to work,

Sounds like it's configured to do xdm, that is, start X on boot.
This is set in your /etc/inittab with a line that probably looks like:
	id:5:initdefault:
You want to change the "5" to a "3".

How do you get a display so that you can do this?
You can try ctrl-alt-backspace, which may knock you out of X to a prompt.
Or you might have some luck with ctrl-alt-F5, which on my boxes gives me a
virtual console without killing the X session.

If one of these works and you can edit inittab, you should be able to try
to run the X setup program again (I don't know which one SuSE uses).

Hope that helps,

Andy