Re: [TCLUG:18618] Linux and the TI-89

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Mike Hicks wrote:

> Jonathan Kline wrote:
> >
> > Stupid question here?   But has anyone ever got the linux kernel and a
> > shell to compile and run on a TI-89?  The 89 has a 10mhz mortarola CPU,
> > and aboyut 600k user RAM....  I imagine you copuld have fun if you hget it
> > to work!!!!
>
> That would be a *really* tight fit, but it may be possible.  You might
> want to ask the people that do micro-controller Linux for systems that
> don't have memory management units and things like that.

I'd like to see it too, just for the sake of it.  But, I don't know how
much fun running it would actually be -- I've seen Linux at 7.5 MHz on a
laptop in power save mode, and even though I'm no speed freak (started on
paper terminals at 300bps!) it was really painful.

Also, I don't know how much kernel you'd have to pare down -- I wonder if
it could legitimately be called Linux when you were done.

Has anyone done *any* porting to the TI processors??

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math